I have died and gone to chocolate-covered heaven.
My friend Jeanine and I needed something to keep us busy on this rainy day, so we decided to find something to make. I found a recipe for Healthy Mounds Bars from Chocolate Covered Katie, and it is so easy and so, so good.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened) (80g)
- 3 1/2 to 4 tbsp agave or pure maple syrup (48g) (or 3 tbsp water and 2-3 nunaturals stevia packs)
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil (20g) (See nutrition info link below, for all substitution notes on this recipe.)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder (22g)
- a few stevia drops, or up to 1 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup liquid virgin coconut oil (Or omit these last three ingredients and simply melt 2/3 cup chocolate chips instead.) (57g)
*I melted dark chocolate chunks instead of the cocoa powder/Stevia/coconut oil mix.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a food processor. (You can try to mix by hand if you don’t have a food processor, but the dough won’t stick together as well.) Press the filling into the bottoms of mini muffin cups. (Press HARD!) Freeze at least 25 minutes. Meanwhile, make the chocolate coating by mixing the last three ingredients together to make a thin sauce. Line a tray with wax or parchment paper, then pop out the now-hardened coconut treats and coat in chocolate. Immediately put them in the fridge or freezer, as coconut oil melts when warm. These last at least a week. (chocolatecoveredkatie.com)
Chocolate-Covered Katie has so many sweet and healthy recipes ranging from banana-split pancakes to healthy Twix bars. Her recipes are lower in cholesterol and sugar, and higher in fiber and vitamins. Katie explains, “My aim isn’t for people to say, ‘This is good… for a healthy dessert recipe.’ I want them to say, ‘This is good. Period.’
Maybe her Birthday Cake Reeses are next on my recipe to-do list?